Educators value and care for all students and act in their best interests.
Educators are responsible for fostering the emotional, esthetic, intellectual, physical, social and vocational development of students. They are responsible for the emotional and physical safety of students. Educators treat students with respect and dignity. Educators respect the diversity in their classrooms, schools and communities. Educators have a privileged position of power and trust. They respect confidentiality unless disclosure is required by law. Educators do not abuse or exploit students or minors for personal, sexual, ideological, material or other advantage.
In the beginning of my practicum, my grade 7 students were testing me and they were trying to see how far they could push in order to get their way in the classroom. In respecting my teacher mentor, I was not going to implement my classroom rules and expectations until I was taking over at least 80%. On the first Monday of full immersion, I cancelled my math blocks and I sat down with my students and we had our classroom rules discussion. I wrote a lesson plan on what I wanted to cover in this class and I told my students what my expectations and rules would be because I wanted my classroom to be safe for each one of my students to be in and for them to be comfortable. After I explained to my students and they showed me that they understood, I asked them what they are expecting from me and how I can help improve their learning environment. I wrote down everything that my students said and I implemented everything as soon as possible. The rest of my practicum had very little classroom management issues because I showed my students that I respect each and every one of them and they respected me in return. They understood that I care for them and that I want them to enjoy coming to my classes because they feel safe.
No comments:
Post a Comment