Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Smart Boards with Smith



Educators engage in career-long learning.

Educators engage in professional development and reflective practice, understanding that a hallmark of professionalism is the concept of professional growth over time. Educators develop and refine personal philosophies of education, teaching and learning that are informed by theory and practice. Educators identify their professional needs and work to meet those needs individually and collaboratively. 

The classrooms that I taught in during my practicum all had a Smart Board installed.  I had never used a Smart Board before and I was anxious about it because I saw my teacher mentor use it in each of his lessons, so I knew that the students were used to that and I should be implementing it in my lessons as well.  My teacher mentor gave me a quick run-through about the Smart Board and how I can make my lessons more interactive for my students, but I really learned the most by sitting on my laptop for a couple of hours and exploring the program.  I enjoyed using the Smart Board and it allowed me to set up my lessons beforehand and watch my students go up to the board and do interactive activities within math, science, and HCE.  Nearing my phase-out, I was talking to my other colleagues from TEP and asked if they were using a Smart Board in their classrooms.  Many of them did not have them in their schools, so I had three of them come into my classroom after school and I put on a Smart Board workshop.  I walked them through how the Smart Board works, what program they need, and how they can adapt lessons and make them their own.  I showed them how interactive my lessons have been by showing an example of the rock cycle jeopardy I created for my students that they played before they wrote their chapter test.  One of my colleagues filmed the workshop so that they could remember how I explained the use of the Smart Board.  We as teachers will be attending professional development days for the rest of our careers, so I put on my own for my fellow TEP colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment