| Anti-Bullying hashtags with my grade 7 class. |
Tuesday, 3 June 2014
Social Justice: Diversity in Science
TEP believes that educators must be open to and respectful of diversity and difference. Educators require the ability to see beyond their own ways of defining the world and to be advocates of social justice and the inclusive classroom. A high value is placed on the ethical responsibilities of educators.
At
the beginning of my practicum, I did not know how I was going to meet the
Social Justice value because I was placed in a grade 7 math and science
classroom. We took a Social Justice
class in the Teacher Education Program and I was not only excited, but also prepared
to cover this in subjects such as language arts and social studies, but that
was before we received our practicum placements. I met with my teacher mentor before the start
of my long practicum and we went over what units I would be teaching. For science, he asked me to teach an Earth
Science unit, and this included teaching the theory of Pangaea to my
students. I was thrilled to teach this
because it was one of my favourite topics to learn back when I was a
student. The first day of introducing
Pangaea finally came and after I explained to my students what it was about, a
boy in the class put up his hand and said, “Miss. Smith that is not how God
made the Earth. This theory is wrong.” I stood there in front of my students in
shock; I realized that I never thought about this controversy before I had introduced
my lesson. As we all quickly learned in
our practicums, it is important to think on the spot. Even though I was teaching about our continents
and not about how planet Earth was created, I took on this teachable
moment. I told the class that everyone
in the world has a different belief on how our planet was created. I asked this student if he would be comfortable
in explaining his theory and he gladly did.
I then went on to ask other students in the class if they have different
beliefs and we ended up having a class discussion on different beliefs that
people have about the planet we live on.
I ended the conversation explaining to my class that what I am teaching
is one theory and that is the theory of Alfred Wegener; but as we have seen,
each person has a different theory. I
received more respect from my students after this teachable moment because I
respected them and their beliefs. I did
not realize that I could cover social justice in the topics that I was teaching
but I quickly understood that social justice can be covered in all subjects and
that it is important for teachers to respect the diversity and differences in
their classrooms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment