Tuesday, 3 June 2014

From Student Fearing Math to Teacher Loving Math


Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.

Educators are knowledgeable about how children develop as learners and as social beings, and demonstrate an understanding of individual learning differences and special needs. This knowledge is used to assist educators in making decisions about curriculum, instruction, assessment and classroom management.

 I completed my Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of the Fraser Valley focusing on history and visual arts.  I entered the Teacher Education Program hoping to be teaching in a middle school, but I initially did not want to take the risk of being placed in a math/science class because I struggled terribly as a student in math.  I completed grade 11 math in high school, hoping that I would be done with it forever.  I was told by a faculty member of TEP to not worry about what I will be placed in and to teach the grade that I want to teach.  I requested grade 7 and I ended up being placed in a grade 7 math/science classroom.  I was extremely nervous for this but I decided to take on the challenge because I knew it would make me a better classroom teacher.  My practicum required even more work because each night I was teaching myself new math concepts that I never understood when I was in grade 7.  I did not want my students to experience what I did in high school; I wanted to be a confident math teacher, be able to answer all their questions, and be available to assist them when they needed extra help.  The feedback my teacher mentor and faculty mentor was great and they told me that because I did have difficulties with math, I was an effective teacher because I explained everything step by step.  I had numerous students who were very low in math and would express their frustrations to me.  I was able to connect with these students because I completely understood how they felt and we worked together to make their learning successful.  By the end of my practicum, my students were thrilled with their math marks and I could not believe how much I enjoyed teaching this subject.  I understand that students learn in different ways, so I implemented ways in my lesson plans where I could meet my auditory, visual, tactile, and kinesthetic learners.

1 comment: