Thursday, 15 May 2014

My Teaching Philosophy




1/3 of my grade 7/8 girls' rugby team.
My vision for myself as a student teacher and future classroom teacher is to be a referent teacher.  This means that I am respected by my students because I show them respect as well.  As a referent teacher, I want to contribute to the school community by coaching sports; this will give me the opportunity to work with other students outside my classroom, to be a positive role model to athletes, and support teamwork and sport; I coached grade 7 boys’ volleyball in the fall and the grade 7 girls’ rugby team during my practicum.
I want to create a safe, nurturing, and caring environment for my students.  I believe that if a student feels cared for and is in a safe environment, then they will be more willing to take academic risks; taking these risks will also create enthusiastic learners in my classroom.  I greet my students at the door each morning so that they feel welcomed into my classroom.
I believe that every student should know what success feels like.  I want to create confident students in my classroom and enjoy what they are learning.
I had been open to sharing my vision as a teacher to parents.  On the rugby trip to Victoria I was talking to a parent of a grade 8 student and she was sharing with me how her daughter is afraid to ask questions in class because of the way her teacher makes her feel when she does.  I told her that in my classroom, I encourage my students to ask questions.  If they ask questions about a math concept that I may have already gone over, I make sure that the student does not feel ashamed for asking for further clarification.  It is extremely important to me that my students show interest in learning and are not afraid to ask questions.  Each time a question is asked, I thank the students for asking them. 
I have further understood how important it is for students to feel welcome in a school and are comfortable being there.  I understand that not all students have positive home lives and I make sure that their experience at school is positive because they have to spend so much time in the building.  I had discussions with my students before each class and brought humour into the classroom so that they felt more comfortable and knew that the space I provided for them was relaxing.  I admire how my Teacher Mentor communicates with the students and I have made it my goal to create relationships with my students in that way.  I have learned how important it is to know what is going on in each student’s lives and to not control my classroom as my own; instead, I want my students to be a part of their learning environment as well.  I believe that working together as a team with my students is more beneficial than being authoritative.
My grade 7 homeroom class.

No comments:

Post a Comment