Sunday, 29 September 2013

Why is it important "to know" your students?

As a teacher, it is very important "to know" the learners in my classroom. My school experience growing up was fairly simple for me because I am a visual learner, and most of my teachers taught specifically for those learners. The only subject I had difficulty with was math. I could not look at a formula and remember it because I could not comprehend how or why it was useful. I would say I am a tactile learner when it comes to math; in order for me to learn and figure out questions, I need manipulatives to strategically understand its concept. I need to visually see it in front of me.  Math was terrifying and I dreaded going to those classes. I could not handle participating in a subject that I did not understand. I do not want my students to experiences these feelings in my classroom. I am creating lesson plans that meet all the different learners in my classroom (auditory, visual, tactile, and kinesthetic), so that all my students are learning what I am teaching. I want my students to know what success feels like; I do not want them to dread my classes. I will be teaching math and science in my practicum and those seem to be the subjects that most students dislike. It will definitely be a challenge for me but I am looking forward to it because I want my students to feel excited when they step inside my classroom. In order for me to achieve this goal, I need "to know" all the different learners in my classroom and meet their individual needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment