Monday, 16 September 2013
Creativity and Education
Has creativity been pushed out of education? Yes, I believe it has. I feel like the problem these days is that kids are pushed out of creativity at a very young age. We watched Sir Ken Robinson's video on how schools kill creativity and what he said was very true. Fortunately, we are changing this; we may not see this in our lifetimes, but it is evolving. Our job as educators is to teach our kids young. Why are there not many music teachers in elementary schools anymore? I had one when I attended school in Dubai and thoroughly enjoyed going because I always needed to have that mental break and was comfortable with it. Most kids between kindergarten and grade two cannot sit at a desk for long periods of time and enjoy music classes because they are fearless. This is the same for drama, dance, theatre, and art. Why are most students not being introduced to these classes until middle school? At this stage in their lives, they have already been educated out of creativity, unless they grew up seeing creativity during extracurricular activities outside of school. Since these classes are not in many of our schools, we need to incorporate them into our classrooms. We need to educate them to drive for what they enjoy and want. Many children do not have a problem with playing sports because children attend physical education classes at the beginning of their schooling. Have you ever wondered why more students grow up being athletes rather than musicians or actors? We need to incorporate creativity into our lessons so that our students are not educated out of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment