Thursday, 29 August 2013

Reflection on Teaching Philosophy

I've never really thought about my "teaching philosophy" until today's activity in class where we had to stand in a circle and explain our philosophy in 60 seconds, then 30 seconds, then 15 seconds, then 5 seconds.  Once we got down to the 5 second mark, we had to come up with our key points to our philosophy.
As mentioned before, I've never thought about it but I've always had values that I've believed in and what I would like my classroom to look like.  The 5 key terms I concluded with were:
-Trust
-Equality
-Friendship
-Life Long Learning
I want my students to trust me.  I could only hope that no matter what my students are enduring in their lives that they can come and talk to me and can trust me with the information they are giving me.  I am a firm believer in expressing your feelings and I would hate to see my students having to go throughout their day to day lives holding so much emotion inside.
I would like equality in my classroom as well and hope that diversity would not single out any of my students.  I would like them to be classified as Miss. Smith's class, not a group of different students having to be in one classroom every day.  No matter what our differences our, we are still one class and we will all work together and become successful.
Friendship is important as well because that means that all of my students will be civil and peaceful with one another.  It may be impossible to have a class full of friends, but all I could hope for is that they could all get along in harmony.  I am a huge believer in group work and if friendship can be seen in the classroom, then group work will be successful and all my students can be happy.
Life long learning is a HUGE philosophy I believe in.  My goal as a teacher is to meet each of my students' individual needs and whatever way possible.  I want my students to know that they will not only be learning in the classroom, but also outside on the playground and off school grounds.  I want my students to love learning and to keep learning for the rest of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment